Wednesday, October 20, 2010

How Did Your Customer Find You?

In the vast sea of items on Etsy, I am always curious as to how my customers found me, little old me, among the masses. How about you? It is such useful information, seeing if certain marketing or advertising efforts are succeeding and helping you fine tune your efforts.

 I want to preface what I am about to tell you with the statement that I am sure Google Analytics can somehow answer this question for you. But, if you are anything, like me, GA can be very overwhelming and even a bit confusing.

I have thought about asking this question in the convo I always send after a purchase, acknowledging that I have received their order and thanking them for their purchase, but it seems a little invasive to me. Now I've  found a way that takes me out of the equation and allows them a choice as to whether to answer.

.....Paypal. Paypal checkout to be more specific. Paypal allows you to set up a survey question with up to five possible answers during the checkout process. Whether your customer answers is up to them, but you never know if you don't ask.

How To:
1. Login. Go to Profile, then down to More Options and click.

2.Under Selling Preferences, choose Custom Payment Pages. You then have two tabs:  Page Style and Options, choose Options.

3.Scroll down to Merchant Service Options and check Add A Customer Survey. You can now enter a question. I asked 'How did you find Charmed Design 1012?' And then  add up to five answers. I wanted more than five, but that is all they allow. My choices are: browsing etsy, facebook, search engine, word of mouth, and other site. Click Save.

4. To find out if your survey question was answered, click Transaction Details, and the answer will be there if your customer elected to answer.

Will you use the survey question? If yes, what will you ask? Please comment and let me know!

23 comments:

bagsofblessing said...

What a great idea. I didn't know.

abundancejournal said...

I bought something once where they had that survey, but I found them by typing a keyword into the search box on Etsy and clicking on the picture of their item, and they were so into whatever "ads" they do and marketing stuff, that they hadn't even considered that this was possible, and there was no box for me. Super weird.

Andrea said...

That is an awesome idea! Thank you! I never would have known.

Emme Toaye said...

I am using this option but still get almost no answers. Just recently I put a request in my "message to buyers" section asking them to let me know if they have the time and explaining how it will help me along with my appreciation of their visit and purchase, but still waiting for that golden information.

Unknown said...

I think I will do this- great idea. I always ask customers in my brick and mortar (which is closing) where they found us. Thanks- freshurbanvintage on etsy.

Josephine Russell said...

That is a very good idea! I will try it:)

buttonsoneverything said...

That's a great idea, I'm curious to know how often people will actually complete the survey.

Crystal said...

This is a good idea-I had no idea Paypal had this option

Kristin Aquariann said...

That's an awesome feature!! Thank you so much for sharing.

Bridget said...

wow, great idea, thanks for sharing. & thanks for following & commenting on my blog.
http://bdorsa.blogspot.com/
blog about my dog: http://elvisleesweetboy.blogspot.com/

Beachy Rustica said...

Interesting! Thanks for posting!

Tania said...

I have the question " How did you find my shop" in the message from seller box but very few people ever respond. The PayPal idea sounds like it might work better, thanks!

ARTina said...

This is news I can use! I haven't been promoting my Etsy lately nor have I put anything new in my shop in a while, but I got a sale this morning! I would love to know how I was found. Great post!

Unknown said...

THANK YOU! so helpful!!

Babamoon said...

omg ive been wondering how to do this for AGES... thanks so much!

Southern Belle said...

Wow! That's awesome. I'm going to have to try that sometime.

erin said...

hi! you found my blog on an etsy thread and re following it, thank you! i am now following yours as well :)))

www.dramatiquedesigns.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

This is such a great idea! I will have to try this, my customers are very random so it would be really nice to know:D P.S. I'm your newest follower...thanks for stopping by my blog;)

Pretty Whimsical said...

Thank you...I've been wondering how they did that and now I know!

Hanna said...

Hi, I;m your newest follower! I love finding new blogs and yours is lovely. You can find me at www.bouffeebambini.blogspot.com

take a peek at my giveaways if you stop by. I only feature gorgeous, handmade stuff:)

Anonymous said...

Ohmygosh, how wonderful! I always wonder how they found me. Thank you for this tip!!

Beth J. Beal said...

What a wonderful post! Thanks for sharing!

foothillfibersnphoto said...

Great information...I hope I make some sales soon to see where people are coming from! Thanks!

 
Template by suckmylolly.com