Wednesday, October 31, 2012
As we approach the holiday season, it's a great time to consider simple ways that you and your family can share with the community and help change lives. This is the most important time of year to give because the weather changes, many seasonal jobs come to an end, and many families find it hard to get by. I'd like to share some simple ways that you can make a huge difference in your community and in the world this year - choose one that feels right for you and commit to making it happen within the month of November!
Give Old Clothing A Second Life
As you bring out your own cold weather clothing and purchase new pieces, this is a great time to give what you no longer need to those who can really use it. Coats, jackets, sweaters, shoes, and even blankets make excellent donations to community centers and shelters to ensure that nobody has to be cold this winter.
Time & Energy
If you have extra time, give it in service to the world! Donating your time and energy at local community centers, shelters, or other charitable organizations is a great way to create positive change in your life and in the lives of countless others.
At this time of year more than ever, good food is needed in shelters and food banks. Tackle a pre-winter cleaning project in your home and give away whatever you can. This is also a great time to take advantage of sales at local stores so that you can donate even more usable goods directly to the people who need them most while supporting small businesses at the same time.
As you can see, there are many ways to get involved and you can easily find something that works with your abilities. Choose to be part of the solution this year and you will find that it changes everything in countless positive ways!
Friday, October 26, 2012
Did you know that throughout the world fall is considered a wonderful and sacred time to make positive changes in your life? Many people feel that fall is a time or rest and repose, but actually there are many ways to let go of the old and create room for the new!
In nature, fall is the time when plants fade away so that roots can rest and seeds can store up energy to sprout next year. Our ancient ancestors may have taken wisdom from this time of year and done the same! We can choose at this time to let go of the things we nurture and hold onto if they are no longer good for us so that when we bloom again next year, we'll be better off!
Leaves falling from trees is a powerful symbol for the fall. As the leaves delicately drift to the earth to be turned into soil through the process of composting, we too can allow thoughts, feelings, and old patterns to fall away as well. This is the perfect time of year to follow the wisdom of the trees and 'let it all go!'.
Many leaves change color during the fall reminding us that this is indeed the season of change. The weather is changing, the path of the sun is changing, and the colors are also changing. At this time of year we can draw strength from the natural world around us to make the changes in our lives we know are best for us - or to receive inspiration if we're not sure which way to go next!
As you watch the fall roll in, the colors change, and the air cool down this season, look at yourself and see what can be released with love and willingness to heal. We get to celebrate the Halloween festivities where we don on a mask and pretend to be someone we aren't - and it just might be that while we're out playing, the real us heals itself!
Happy Fall 2012!
Shop our new Fall designs at www.charmeddesign.com
Wednesday, October 17, 2012
I love the harvest season, and Halloween is such a fun holiday! Every year I look forward to seeing the children get excited about the festivities, and I love the decorations! The weather cools down, the leaves change, new foods appear in the market, and I couldn't be happier!
In celebration of the spooky season, I thought it would be fun to share a few Halloween facts with you that you may not know...
* In Europe, pumpkins are not what's carved! Potatoes, beets, and turnips signal the season and in some traditions are carved to provide a safe place for wandering spirits to reside during the festivities.
* Halloween is known as 'Samhain' (pronounced Sow-In) in many parts of Europe. It's an ancient festival time celebrating those who have passed on and the mysteries of life.
* In America, Halloween is third in line after the Super Bowl and New Year's Eve for parties.
* Over 85% Of American households add some form of decoration to their homes.
* More than half of the Halloween costumes sold in the USA are for adults.
* In many spiritual traditions, it is believed that the invisible 'veil' that separates our realm from the next is very thin. For this reason, ancestors, spirits, and other beings are more able to cross over and interact with us. Halloween in America coincides with Samhain in Europe and Dia De Los Muertos in Mexico.
* The traditional Halloween colors of orange and black represent the harvest and the mystery of the season. When a plant is harvested, its seeds will create the next crop. For this reason, our ancient ancestors saw a connection between the final harvest season and the passing of a soul from this world to the next.
Friday, October 5, 2012
As the year winds down, some amazing new looks and styles are emerging to help you add inspiration, positive energy, and empowerment to your personal look! I've just added some hip new bangle style bracelets to the CharmedDesign.com store and would love to introduce you to them all!
Beaded bangles combine the boho chic look of beads with the ever-trendy Bollywood bangle style. The colors, patterns, and charms make these bracelets easy to wear with any look while making sure to get attention at every turn.
Here are a few of my favorite beaded bangles from the current Charmed Designs collection... Enjoy!
Click the images to see each piece up close!
The beaded bangle set shown above featured three pieces spotlighting the evil eye protection charm, Buddha, and Om charm. These bangles sit together on your wrist perfectly and create an instant textured look with movement and interest. The combination of sacred symbols ensures that you'll remember to stay positive, think big, and manifest amazing things in your life!
Classic and mysterious black beads accent this 3 piece set of beaded bangles featuring a glass evil eye protection charm, Om symbol, and peace sign. This beaded bangle set will add a classy and refined look to your personal style while throwing in spiritual energy and some boho playfulness for good measure!
One of my personal favorites in the new beaded bangles collection is the sky blue set of three with evil eye charm, elephant, and Om symbol. The light colors and meaningful symbols make this the perfect addition to your look as the season change to keep the positive and joyful energies flowing!
Last but not least, this colorful set of 3 beaded bangles combines the evil eye protection charm, peace dove, and peace sign to add joy, peace, and spirit to your journey!
I hope you love the beaded bangles as much as I do... and I look forward to sharing even more styles with you in the coming months!
Check out all of my designs at: www.charmeddesign.com
Tuesday, October 2, 2012
The holiday season is coming up fast, and many people are getting a jump start on holiday and 'just for fun' gifts for the people in their lives. Before the lines get too long, I wanted to share a few ideas with you about why supporting artisans, small businesses, and handmade products is such a great choice for you, the person you're buying for, your community, and the world!
Here are my top 5 reasons for choosing to buy handmade and support small business this year and every year...
- Working directly with the artisan or business that creates the things you buy is an amazing experience. You'll find that customer service, quality, and craftsmanship all go up without breaking the bank. Having even a small connection with the people that make the things you buy is a truly amazing experience!
- Supporting small business and artisans directly is a great way for you to put your hard earned cash directly into the hands of the people that make a difference every day. Instead of paying 3 levels of middle-men, support an artist directly to show them that you appreciate the work they do and value the contribution they make to the world.
- Handmade and one of a kind gifts are sure to please. When you gift someone a handmade item, you're telling them that they deserve high quality one of a kind pieces because they are one of a kind, too! A handmade gift comes with all of the love, attention, and craftsmanship that the artisan put into it alongside the beauty of the product.
- Buying handmade will expose you to products and ideas that you may never see in big box or chain stores. Instead of letting other people select what you see, go handmade and search out the unique and amazing items you love best for yourself!
- Supporting handmade tells the world that you believe each person has a talent, a gift, and passion - and that you support them sharing it. When we go handmade, we make sure that artisans get to be the best they can be!
This year, check out handmade alternatives or one of a kind options for the gifts you buy. You'll be thrilled at what you'll find!
Check out my handmade jewelry at: www.charmeddesign.com.
Monday, October 1, 2012
Fall is nearly here, and it's a great time to add new style, energy, and charm to your personal look! I love this time of year because the colors around us and on us take a turn for the natural. Earth tones and rich royal hues take center stage to help us work with the strong and vibrant colors of nature throughout the whole season.
I've created several new pieces that will be the perfect gift to yourself - or for someone you love - this Fall 2012. Each of these pieces carries its own meaning, symbolism, and special materials, so have fun exploring! You can click on the individual images of each item to see them up close and to learn more about them or check them all out at: www.charmeddesign.com.
The mocha silk wrap bracelet shown above features a smoky quartz briolette with peace sign and tree of life charms in silver plated pewter. The hand painted colors in the silk ribbon are perfect for Fall, and the tree of life charm reminds us that all things growing must change. Peace is the way of this season, and the elegant peace sign reminds us to celebrate it!
This hand dyed silk wrap bracelet is the perfect way to celebrate the special fall colors that are about to make an appearance! An African jade briolette and gold plated Om and peace symbols tie it all together. The positive, grounded energy of this wrap bracelet makes it the perfect gift for the holiday seasons for others - or for you!
This sweet bracelet made from Japanese chirimen cord and featuring a lucky elephant and fresh water pearl is the perfect look this Fall. The colors are reminiscent of the ideal Japanese autumn, and they remind me of red maple, oak, and evergreen. The lucky elephant in gold and the pearl add much needed light color as the days shorten. Stay happy and lucky with this bracelet!
Finally, this hand painted silk wrap bracelet with black onyx and copper plated charms offers the quintessential colors and energies of Fall. A time for change and personal reflection, the sacred Aum/Om symbols remind us to turn within and see the colors and changes happening inside our own being. The black onyx is a stone of great mystery reminding us that even when things appear to be getting darker, there is much wisdom and energy to be found.
Wishing you an abundant, healthy, and joyful Fall season!